- Dish type
My daughter goes crazy for egg in a bowl. It is simply a couple of boiled eggs and buttered toast chopped up into bite sized pieces and tossed together - delicious!
1 person made this
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices thick bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chopped fresh chives
MethodPrep:5min ›Cook:5min ›Ready in:10min
- Place the eggs in a saucepan of cold water and bring to the boil. As soon as the water begins to boil, lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, just before the eggs are done, toast the bread and spread the butter evenly. Chop the bread into bite size squares and place in a warmed bowl. Remove the eggs from the water and break the shells. Chop the eggs roughly and add to the bowl along with the toast. Toss together, season and garnish with chopped fresh chives. Serve immediately and eat with a spoon!
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(1)
Reviews in English (1)
Doesn't get much simpler than this. I used butter and garlic croutons in place of the toast. Tastes great with Sriracha hot sauce on top.-02 Feb 2015
Keto Crack Slaw: Easy Egg Roll In A Bowl Recipe
This keto crack slaw recipe is one of my favorite quick dinners! If you are asking, “what is crack slaw?”, it’s also known as a low carb egg roll in a bowl. Why? Because it tastes just like an egg roll, minus the wrapper… a.k.a., it’s DELICIOUS! This easy keto egg roll in a bowl recipe is just about the easiest healthy dinner ever and when I say “quick”, I mean it. You can have it on the table in just fifteen minutes! There is so much to love about this meal.
Many paleo or low carb swaps for traditional high carb foods require grain-free or low carb dough, like fathead pizza or keto bread. And yes, I do love these. They are even the most popular recipes on this site. Gluten-free bread-like replacements are delicious and certainly healthier than their wheat counterparts. But, they should not be the entire basis for a low carb diet.
In my eyes, the whole point of a low carb lifestyle is to focus on real food. Unprocessed meat and vegetables should be your staples. They are the healthiest aspects go going grain-free and low carb. That is where you will get the highest nutritional value.
And this is why I love keto crack slaw recipe so much. It’s the ultimate low carb, paleo, and Whole30 meal. The best part is, it’s naturally that way. It’s not contrived and you don’t need any specialty ingredients.
The Egg Roll in a Bowl (aka Crack Slaw) Recipe
You’ll need a head of cabbage (yes, you can have cabbage on a keto diet), half an onion, a clove of garlic, coconut aminos (you can also use liquid aminos or soy sauce), ground ginger, chicken broth, a couple green onion stalks, and a pound of ground pork.
If you’d like to shoot for an authentic Asian flavor profile, you could also score some sesame oil while you’re out and about.
I’ve made it without sesame oil plenty of times, and it’s still a hit, so feel free to use whatever you have on hand and trust that it will always be delicious.
Brown your ground pork in a large pan or wok and cut your low carb cabbage and onion into long strands while the meat is cooking.
You can use a knife, but the easiest way I have found to cut an entire head of cabbage and onions into threads is using a spiralizer. I am a huge fan of The Inspiralizer and couldn’t recommend it more that thing is an animal! Noodley head of keto cabbage in seconds flat! Not a single tear shed cutting an onion! I’m so hooked and it's perfect for making "crack slaw".
To finish off your keto egg roll in a bowl, add a bit of oil to the pan with your pork and throw the onions in.
Mix minced garlic and ground ginger into the soy sauce or liquid aminos, then add to the pan once the onions have caramelized.
Add the cabbage to the mix and begin tossing the ingredients together.
Drizzle the chicken broth over the cabbage leaves and frequently stir for a few minutes.
WHAT IS IN EGG ROLL IN A BOWL?
- ground pork
- small onion
- chicken broth
- minced garlic
- sesame oil
- rice vinegar
- ground ginger
- soy sauce
- coleslaw mix
- shredded carrots
- green onions
So here are the ingredients inside of an egg roll that we&rsquoll need for this deconstructed version:
- Ground Turkey: Traditionally ground pork is used. To make this recipe healthier you can either use ground turkey, ground chicken, or ground beef, instead.
- Cabbage: Green cabbage was used in this recipe. You can also do a mixture of purple and green cabbage to give it an extra pop of color.
- Carrots: This one-pot dish would not be complete without this colorful vegetable. Make sure to read below about the best way to shred carrots for this recipe.
- Onion: A sweet onion is used but red or yellow may be substituted. Green onions also make a wonderful addition when serving.
- Ginger & garlic: Fresh ginger and garlic are both used to add a zippy punch of flavor. To make things easier you can buy the pre-peeled garlic and use ginger paste instead.
- Soy sauce: Read below about a few alternatives you can use if you are gluten-free or on a Whole30 diet.
- Vinegar: There are a few different types of vinegar that work great in this Asian bowl.
- Sesame Oil: Do not leave this very important ingredient out! It gives this dish a unique flavor.
In a Microwavable Bowl that holds 2 cups
4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) quick grits
12 tablespoons (3/4 cup) water
Microwave for One and one half minutes (90 seconds)
White the grits are in the microwave
slice 2 oz of cheddar cheese
(feel free to use less, or I have used: swiss, parmesean, what ever is on hand - cheddar is my favorite for this)
take the bowl with the grits out of the microwave and stir.
Slip the cracked open large egg into the center of the hot grits. gentle use the spoon to go under the side of the egg so it lowers a bit into the hot grits.
Cover the grits and egg in the bowl with the cheeese.
Put back into the micro for one minute for an "over easy" or "poached" type egg. at 30 seconds and check your egg each time if you want it cooked hard.
Garnish with pickled jalepeno's.
CAUTION: my bowl gets hot so I always use a mitt or a towel when moving it in and out of the microwave.
Egg Roll in a Bowl
This Easy Low Carb Egg Roll in a Bowl combines all the goodies of egg rolls without the carbs from the egg roll skin or the fat from the deep frying. It is paleo and keto diet friendly. You will be surprised at how awesome this tastes and how unbelievably simple it is.
- 1-½ Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- ¾ pounds Bulk Pork Sausage
- 1 Medium Sweet Onion Cut In Half And Thinly Sliced In Half Moon
- 2 Large Carrots Cut In Thin Matchsticks
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Ginger Or Ginger Paste
- ¼ teaspoons Garlic Powder
- ⅛ teaspoons Chinese Five Spice
- 1 Medium Head Green Cabbage Finely Shredded
Add 1/2 tablespoon oil over medium heat to large heavy skillet or wok. Cook pork sausage until almost completely browned. Add onion, carrots, ginger, garlic powder and Chinese five spice (see notes) the last 2 minutes of cooking. Remove from skillet and plate.
If necessary add 1 tablespoon oil to skillet. Add the cabbage and cook until just starting to wilt, about 2-4 minutes stirring several times. Add the sausage mixture back to the skillet. Stir and heat for 1-2 minutes. Serve immediately.
Chinese Five Spice is delicious but I suggest that you add a little at a time till your taste buds say it is just right.
You can add a little soy sauce to this recipe but I find it more delicious and flavorful without it.
Egg Roll in a Bowl Egg Roll in a Bowl is a REAL thing! I have had some unhealthy versions down through the years. S0 since I have started my weight loss journey I have tried the same recipe over and over but I have never found a recipe for Egg Roll in a Bowl that I love. And trust me, I have tried them all, LOL. I decided to make up my own. The 21 Day Fix or the 2B Mindset both stress getting a large number of vegetables. Being able to get as many veggies into one dish as you can is a plus! Plus I really like this dish because it doesn’t involve any of my precious yellow containers. As a matter of fact, it only uses red and green containers and a few teaspoons.
What goes into Egg Roll in a Bowl?
One of the reasons I wanted to perfect this recipe is because it is so versatile. I can use fresh ingredients or just a large bag of premade slaw mix. About 8 cups of shredded veggies. Cabbage, carrot, onions, and garlic is what I have here. But I have added bell peppers and cauliflower rice to it sometimes to make a full 8 cups. You can use your choice of meats too. Lean ground beef, turkey, or chicken all work fine. I have even cubed up my chicken or turkey and made it chunky. Today I used ground turkey. I found it on sale the other day for 99 cents an lb, so I bought 10 pounds!! I never turn away from a bargain like that. While I was batch cooking it, I browned the meat in an olive oil sprayed skillet till done and then drain it. Set it aside, then wipe out the skillet then add sesame oil, and heat it. Add the veggies and toss stirfry style until the veggies start to turn soft and are translucent. Then I added 5-6 Red containers of the meat back into the pan, gave it a stir, and added my sauce. I cooked it till the liquid was gone and served it HOT!
About that sauce…
The sauce is again a matter of personal choice like more pepper flakes or less ginger sure that is up to you… I just put in what I liked most of the time but heat is the thing I add more of sometimes. To serve it I just divide my pan full into 4ths and have 1/4 as a serving size.
Keto egg roll in a bowl
- ½ cup 120 ml mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp chili paste
- 1 1 garlic clove, minced garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 2 garlic clove, chopped garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 oz. (4 1 &frasl3 tbsp) 28 g (65 ml) scallion , thinly sliced, white and green parts separated scallions , thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
- 1½ lbs 650 g ground turkey or ground pork
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp 1 tsp sesame oil
- 8 oz. 230 g green cabbage , shredded
- 4 oz. 110 g red cabbage , shredded
- salt, for seasoning
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 4 large egg large eggs
- salt, to taste
- ½ cup (¼ oz.) 120 ml (8 g) fresh cilantro , chopped
- 2 2 lime, wedges limes, wedges (optional)
- 2 tsp 2 tsp black sesame seeds (optional)
Below 4 E% carbs or, 7 g of carbs or less if it is a mealRead more
Besides being tested by the original recipe creator, this recipe has also been tested and quality approved by our test kitchen.
Save time making this dish by using a coleslaw mix instead of preparing and slicing cabbage.
If you like to meal prep, the meat and cabbage mixture freezes well after it's cooked. When you're ready to eat, remove the meat mixture from the freezer and warm it, whip up the chili paste, fry the eggs, and dinner is done in a jiffy!
No fresh lime or lime juice? You can use lemon instead or simply omit it altogether.
What to Serve with Egg Roll in a Bowl
Lettuce Wraps – so a traditional egg roll comes all neat and tidy inside a wonton wrapper. This pork egg roll in a bowl recipe is NOT neat, tidy, and handheld though. If you prefer it all wrapped up while still keeping it low-carb, go ahead and use a fresh lettuce leaf as a wrapper. It’ll give your egg roll a nice crunch!
Rice – my kids are definitely carb lovers. If a meal doesn’t include carbs, then it’s basically not a meal to them! When I make this easy egg roll in a bowl, I’ll cook up a batch of brown rice to serve to the boys. I love it all on it’s own though, which helps to keep this a low carb egg roll in a bowl!