This riff on a Salty Dog, created by Craig Schoettler, the executive director of beverage and corporate bartender at MGM Resorts, is a crisp and clean hop-tail topped with a grapefruit radler with a sessionability that renders it perfect for (all-) day drinking. A spicy and salty rim balances out the grapefruit’s bitterness.
- 1 lime wedge
- Himalayan pink salt and Tajín seasoning mix (1:1)
- 1 ounce blanco tequila
- 2 ounces grapefruit juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- Burgkopf grapefruit radler (or other citrusy beer), to top
- Garnish: grapefruit wheel
Rub the lime wedge on half of the outside of a chilled pilsner glass.
Coat with salt and seasoning mix.
Add the tequila, grapefruit and lime juices, and simple syrup, top with the beer, and stir gently.
Garnish with the grapefruit peel.